Motherhood, Milestones, and MOVEMENT!

by Jen on October 14, 2012

Pregnancy, at least for me, is succession of milestones.  First you get through the two week wait, and then you hold your breath until you pass former miscarriage dates, and then you look for the end of the first trimester counting every single solitary second, and then, you reach for 16 weeks, and then 20 where you know you are half way through, and then 25 where you feel “some” confidence that if you went into pre-term labor, the medical masterminds that be would be able to assist your baby into the world, and then 32 weeks seems like a celebration, and then 40… well, that’s the real goal, isn’t it?  Point is, every day is a celebration.  And, quite honestly, every day is a reminder that I’ll never feel totally in the safe zone.

But today I’ve reached one of my milestones.  16 weeks!!!  That’s four teensy weeks shy of being half way there!

Breathe.

I now know our baby is a boy, and that he has two arms and two legs and ten fingers and a four chambered heart.  Ultrasounds are incredible.

And here is the next exciting piece of news…  I felt him move!!!  It’s very subtle and very seldom, but I am certain it was him.  It happened the first time on Friday night (15 weeks and 5 days) and then three times yesterday.  To be honest, I always thought I was a bit too… fat… to feel him moving around so soon, but glory be to Oprah, I felt him!

It feels selfish in a way.  I get to experience this stuff and can’t yet share it with anyone else.  I think George will pee his pants when he’s able to feel him on the outside for the first time.  I probably will too.  We are an emotional pair, the two of us.

The world has suddenly become a place of emotional wonder, and everything from a mother wearing her baby on the subway and watching shows like The X Factor, and Parenthood, and even America’s Next Top Model (I know?!?!?) are making me weep.  I used to leave the emotional stuff to George.  Now we are both sappy asses.  And I hear it just gets worse after the baby is born.  Makes me sorry for all the years I made fun of my mother for crying during movies.  Poor Bodhi is in for a real treat.  I hope he’s compassionate.  I’m gonna need it.

We are still working on names.  I blame Facebook for making it such a challenge.  I know a heck of a lot of babies through social media, making me paranoid of “stealing” someone else’s name.  But truly, if we aren’t going to name our kid something like “Tennis Shoe” the likelihood of us not choosing a name that someone already has is slim to none.  I have no intention of naming the kid Tennis Shoe, sooooo….  We’ve got our list narrowed down, and my gut tells me which name is “right”, but we are going to marinate on it a bit longer.  We’ve got some time, right?

I’m not really a fan of having my picture taken (or at least not when I’m 400 pounds outside of my goal weight), but I’m finding the changes to my body to be pretty cool.  I may look back one day and wonder what the heck I was thinking, but for now, I feel really good about myself.  I feel healthy and strong, and somewhat superhuman for growing a baby.  I know, I know, people have been growing babies for years… get over yourself, Jen.  But I can’t.  I’m excited.  And proud.  And I have no tolerance for anyone minimizing our “success”.  Suck it, infertility!

So here are a couple pictures of my progress.  My stomach is large, and has been for a while now.  It makes me happy.  True story.  I’m 15 weeks in both of these pictures, bee tee dub.

1 Andrea October 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Love love love!

I am so happy for you and yay for feeling him. Isn't it crazy? And yes, when g feels him move he is going to be freaked! As will you. But it is all awesome.

I send you loads of love and hope you continue to feel amazing. And feel like your body is amazing because that is the coolest thing in the world.

2 Kim October 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm

You look beautiful!!!!! & I cry at xfactor now so god help me when I'm preggo!!!

3 Nadine Ochs October 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Ahhh you look beautiful and glowing!!!!!!

4 Beth sawyer October 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You are amazing!!!

5 jonoandteri October 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I use to make fun of my mother crying incessantly in movies in addition to her fear of horror flicks or even semi-scary ones. At the same time, I invited friends over to watch Exorcist at age 10ish. And yeah, thats TOTALLY me now. Jono is very disappointed with my low tolerance of horror flicks and tries not to laugh when I cry at commercials. Almost forgot to add you look AMAZING 🙂

6 Kimberly October 15, 2012 at 9:07 am

Felling the baby move was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. I loved every kick. Even if it was right in my bladder. I loved being pregnant.
I'm so overjoyed that you get this experience. You were meant to be a Mom. You are beautiful xo

7 Tammy Bartelson October 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I don't think you will be MORE emotional after the baby is born, well, maybe right after birth, but then the hormones kind of get back to normal. But you will be more SENSETIVE and open to things like his first ouchie, first steps, first time he bleeds, first hair cut, first day of school…..THOSE things will make you cry because you are a now a MOM with emotions tied to every thing that affects your child! You'll be GOOD at it!! Lol You are already a GREAT mommy!! Love ya, Jen!
p.s. I loved being pregnant too! It's a joy!

8 Runnermom-jen October 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

You are beautiful. And feeling the baby move…ohmyheart…that is so wonderful! That was always my favorite thing about being pregnant.
xo

9 karenbonar October 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Girl, been there, celebrating every day, too. It keeps happening after he's born. Promise!

Big hugs to you … and keep taking pix. I promise, you'll be glad you did (even think about having pro photos done 30-34 weeks … you'll feel sexy!). It's AWESOME to look at the pix afterwards and see how big you no longer are. 😉

10 karenbonar October 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh …. aaaaaand, I remember feeling B-boy move for the first time EARLY, too. It was nothing short of a miracle. My favorite times = getting up early, drinking a glass of apple juice, going back to bed and snuggling up against Daddy E's back so he could feel baby wiggle. It.Was.Awesome. 🙂 You'll love it, too!

11 euregirlsandboys October 16, 2012 at 6:39 am

Movement is so exciting! And I love the pictures. Other important thoughts on this post: Brinkley is a great baby boy name 🙂 Just saying. And I thought crying at Parenthood every episode was just normal?

12 Rose October 17, 2012 at 1:42 am

You look utterly beautiful, with that extra aura that only a very very happy pregnant woman can.
And hugs and congratulations on 16wk milestone!!
Hugs