The Barf-Inducing Blueberry Buddha

by Jen on August 19, 2012

Last Monday, George and I, along with our teensy, blueberry-sized Buddha, graduated from the NYU Fertility Center.  We had a final ultrasound with the RE we’ve grown to cherish, and were sent on our merry way.

What. A. Feeling.

I saw the strong flicker of his heartbeat (chugging away at 138 bpm) and for just a second, the doctor turned on the sound and let us hear the hyper swishing from inside my womb.  There is no sound on Earth more important to me right now.

Our RE didn’t provide us with an official due date, but said we looked to be 7 weeks, at least, making our calculations make sense.  That means, we are 8 weeks today!

Eight weeks!

George, and most baseball fans it seems, believes in “Baseball Gods”.  He believes you should never speak of victories until the final out.  He believes you shouldn’t talk about hypothetical World Series outings until you see the team wearing the t-shirt, and he believes not holding your tongue causes some sort of ridiculous jinxing that curses the team and banishes them to the land of Loserville.  (I’m paraphrasing.)

He’s adopted some facets of this same foolish religion when it comes to my pregnancy.  But really, we are doing far better relaxing this time around than I thought.  I feel pretty calm.  And healthy.  And ready to put all the “unknown” behind us.  We are buried in our baby name books again, playing games by randomly opening the book, closing our eyes, and pointing to various names.  So far, we’ve pointed to Azadanes and Royanna and Ilhuitl.

That’s a stupid game, huh?

Our first OBGYN appointment is September 4th.  We’ve found a new OB, one who came highly recommended by our RE, so I’m looking forward to seeing his face for the next 32-ish weeks.

And before I close, I’d like to leave you with the first photo of the teensy little Buddha-esque embryo that caused me to barf on myself at the bus stop the other day.  Seems he has a sense of humor, and that makes me smile.

1 euregirlsandboys August 19, 2012 at 9:00 am

Happy graduation! That is so exciting. I never forget the sound of that swish-swishing baby heartbeat. It's pretty amazing. I hope you have a great experience with your new OB, too. But I'm sorry about the barf at the bus stop – that doesn't sound so cool 🙂

2 Smldada August 19, 2012 at 9:58 am

Happy graduation!!

My heart stops every single time an ultrasound is switched on. I hope the barfing n ourself doesn't happen too frequently..

3 Andrea August 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yahoo! I am one of those baseball G-d believers. Ehem. Tell George I tend to sit in the same spot and not move if my team is rallying. Seriously. Unfortunately you cannot sit still for the entire ten months. And yes, I said ten …nine is a total lie unless you give birth early.

I am so glad the blueberry Buddha is well and you are too, minus the puking. Just think of how you will blame him/her when it is their 4th or 5th birthday!

4 karenbonar August 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

awesoooooooome! 🙂

I keep thinking about you and wondering how all is going. Glad to hear it's well. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

5 TraciTalksBack August 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I am so incredibly happy for you guys……,and the irony of the due date is not lost on me!!
God bless this rainbow baby! I cannot wait to follow you guys on this journey! Enjoy every single second Jen! <3 <3 <3

6 Runnermom-jen August 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Oh yeah, I agree…BEST SOUND EVER!!! SOOO happy for you guys. And barfing at the bus stop? Good times 😉

7 Jane August 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

That is great news! Hearing the heartbeat is such a wonderful noise! Did you know you can rent a fetal doppler from http://www.babybeat.com? I rented one for 6 months for about $100 and it was totally worth it, although you'll need to wait a bit til you can hear the heartbeat from the outside. Gave me lots of peace of mind all through my pregnancy. I'm so happy for both you and George – keep up the good work, mama!

8 Suzy August 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

I sweet barf inducing blueberry! Please sick around for the next eight months. Love, your internet aunties. 🙂

9 Rumour Miller August 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

We met at BlogHer and I am finally stopping by … to this freakin glorious news! Congratulations and all the best.

I bought a fetal doppler and it was a prized posession for my last two pregnancy!

10 Tammy Bartelson August 21, 2012 at 1:01 am

We always thought our babies heartbeats sounded somewhat like a washing machine whooshing along. We'd get to joking about what BRAND each baby sounded like: Whirlpool, GE, Kelvinator (don't make those anymore!), etc….And you are right: no better sound in the WORLD!!!

11 Rach DonutsMama August 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Oh hai little beebers! Cousin Donut says hi! I'm glad you are feeling calm and happy. Seriously, enjoy it.

12 Dawn@LightenUp! August 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

Oh Jen Oh Jen Oh Jen!! THAT is the most BEAUTIFUL picture I have seen in, like, ever. Love ya!

13 Kenya G. Johnson August 22, 2012 at 10:07 am

Awww buddha is handsome 😉

14 Heidi August 24, 2012 at 12:11 am

VERY COOL!!! Soo happy for you. Soda crackers!