Oh Em Gee, En Why Cee!

by Jen on November 4, 2011

We have some news.  No, we aren’t expecting a baby.  It would be amazing if we were, but my news is a bit more unexpected.  I think.

I’ve been keeping this secret so long, (okay, not that long) I barely know how to proceed.

Okay, here goes…

We. Are. MOVING!!!!!!!!!

Breathe Jen, Breathe.

Where, you ask???

NEW YORK mother effing CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can’t hardly type it without getting teary eyed and overwhelmed.  I am one hundred percent, butt-crazy, enormously IN LOVE with the city.  I am one hundred percent, butt-crazy, enormously GRATEFUL for this life.

Before George and I got engaged, we discussed our desire for another great adventure.  I’d had one when I moved to Florida, and that landed me a husband.  So scared of an adventure, I am not.  But we agreed having a family before we were in our 40’s was our top priority, making the reality of dream chasing seem secondary.

Our money was earmarked for our wedding, and then for the fertility struggle we were sure we’d experience.  A cross country, “just because” move to the island of Manhattan was not in the financial or familial plans.  But plans?  They are meant to be broken.

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a….  realization that a baby carriage may be harder to come by than you’d originally thought.

So, we are re-writing the saying.

First comes a bad first date, then comes a freckled-faced matchmaker, then comes the proposal I’ll never ever forget, then the wedding I never knew I wanted, then the standing on my head in hopes of a baby, and finally…. a completely amazing, life changing, dream fulfilling, gratitude evoking chance to live in the greatest city in the whole wide world.

I mentioned before that I’ve read (or let Oprah paraphrase) The Secret.  It seems like such hooey.  But, on May 22nd, 2010, I decided to proclaim my desire to sit at an open window in a brownstone in Manhattan and write until I no longer felt inspired.

Maybe not such hooey after all?

If you dream it.  Put it out there. Can’t hurt, right?

I married George without a single doubt.  No reluctance.  No hesitation.  But, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to one teensy, tiny, baby bit of regret.  I knew that when we got married, a new, unknown and exciting life would begin.  We’d save for our baby.  Or babies.  We’d prepare for the day we could buy our dream house.  We’d juggle multiple families at the holidays.  We’d walk our dogs, fight about stupid stuff, and create “married people” routines.  I was excited about all of that.  But, I had a small bit of fear that the ability to throw caution to the wind and take risks might disappear.

We spent the second week of our honeymoon in New York City.  It was my first time ever being there.  George and I were both guilty of a thousand, “Wouldn’t it have been awesome to move here for a year after college?” and “Man, too bad we are too old and too tied to Tallahassee to ever live here!”

Several months (and several failed attempts to make a baby) later, George brought it up again.  I didn’t take him seriously at first.  If you know George, you know that man is all sorts of tied up in Florida State athletics.  Leaving Tallahassee wasn’t in the cards.

But he was serious.

George is methodical and planned and researched and cautious and frugal.

A spontaneous move to the land of 200 square foot studio apartments for $2,000 a month is a smidgen out of character for my mate.  Or not.  Clearly, I barely know the man.

Regardless, I was immediately on board.  Let’s go!  But wait???  We own a home.  And cars.  We have jobs.  And wiener dogs.  And friends.  And family.  No WAY we could actually pull this off.

Fast forward a few months, and we did.  Correction, my George did.  He’s the master of turning a penny into $10.  For the last year, he’s been plotting, and in the last four months, he’s been a wheeling, dealing, negotiating, garage saling, saving, penny-pinching, craigslisting, job applying fiend.

Last Saturday, while I was at the beach, he loaded his car and drove to New York to snag a job.  We are so fortunate he has family on Long Island who have allowed him to crash with them while he was on the hunt for employment.  A mere three days later, he landed something!!!  Homeboy is employed.  Holla NYU Langone Medical Center!

It’s official.  We are moving.  And I couldn’t be more excited.

George starts his new job later this month.  I will be finishing up here and heading to New York some time in December.

I will miss so much about Tallahassee, but we are keeping our house, so I would imagine we will be back.  Or not.  Who knows?

What I do know is that New York is a place that calls to me.  It’s a place I want to make sludge angels.  It’s where I want to eat dim sum and street meat.  It’s a place I want to explore and know and love.  I feel alive and creative and inspired there.  I’m going to be at home there.  I’m going to teach the wiener dogs the art of peeing on sidewalks and navigating the crowds.  I’m going to swing on a trapeze, make friends with the subway system, and become a better writer there.  I’m also going to become a mother there.  I just know it.

So, I’m sorry for keeping this from you.  It’s been H-A-A-A-A-R-R-R-R-D.  You can’t imagine the relief I feel getting it off my chest.  I feel like a million trillion bucks.

Now, can anyone suggest a good winter coat???

1 Galit Breen November 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Congrats girl! This is such great news!!

2 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 7:59 am

Thanks so much! I can't even describe just how excited I am! Thank you for tweeting about my post too! I appreciate it!!

3 Candace November 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

How very very exciting!! Good for you, taking the plunge that seemed to deep to take. I totally respect that. Can't wait to see what NY brings you. Much luck!!

4 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:01 am

Thank you! I am so eager to get my ass up there…. even though it's going to be cold and sin. Bad timing, probably. I'll be too cold to get out and do much exploring at first.

5 Tim@sogeshirts November 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That is really cool that you and George could pick up and move away like that. I've never been to New York but it looks amazing. Good for you both pursuing your dreams. So glad that George got a job already.

6 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:02 am

Thanks Tim! I'm so excited and thankful that the job hunt was so short-lived. We were both nervous about it. I was telling one of my friends the other day how scary it can be when everything just falls into place so well. Makes you wonder when the crappy stuff is going to start happening. 🙂

7 mamamash November 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm

How does it feel to be able to SCREAM IT from the rooftops?! Or, ok, from the blog home page, but whatever.

I love that you're getting to live a dream. I love George for helping to make it happen.

New York, Newww YORRRRRRRK!

8 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:04 am

You know I've been about to go crayzay over this! For next Halloween, Monkey should be the Statue of Liberty. 🙂 I'll send him some chintzy tourist garb from one of the corner stores. His costume will be all the rage. 🙂

9 XLMIC November 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm

so so so so so COOL!!!!!!

You will love it and have the best time living there 🙂

10 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thank you so much! George is so pumped for concerts and Broadway, and cheap airfare to fly places (Tallahassee is EXPENSIVE TO FLY ANYWHERE), and I'm pumped for people singing off their balconies in Hells Kitchen and buying my first piece of New York art from some starving artist on the street. 😉

11 Jessica November 5, 2011 at 7:17 am

Oh wow, how exciting for you. Must be an amazing feeling to have New York ahead of you. Sounds like you have a great husband.

12 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:07 am

He's decent. 😉 I am so totally ready to get there – even though it's going to be FREEEEEZING. My Floridian blood is going to hate me. 🙂 Thank you for reading!

13 Shauna November 5, 2011 at 8:38 am

Congratulations on such a cool adventure. I'm a native Vermonter, and re: the winter coat situation, I say go big or go home–get a wool pea coat, a puffy northfacey thing for wind and all other manner of unbearable condition, and something cool, maybe leather, for trendy manhattan nights out. Start saving…

PS. Be judicious with the street meat. That shit will send you to places you don't even want to know about…

14 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thank you for the advice! I was thinking I might need something big and puffy, but was worried it wouldn't fit in my teensy closet. I'll make it work. 🙂 NYC is going to be expensive, but you are right, preparing my closet for NYC is going to be an expense in and of itself.

I've been to NY twice and have yet to partake in street meat. I appreciate the warning. 😉

15 Kathleen November 5, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow–that's a big deal! Hope you enjoy the whole process!

16 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thanks Kathleen! I am sure there will be days that suck. But the non-sucky days are going to put those other days to shame! 🙂

17 Kim November 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Whooooooo!! I'm soo excited!!! Let me know if I can do anything to help!!

18 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thank you! Dachshund babysitting services are going to be sooo worth it. (Regret saying that yet?) 😉 I can't wait to do lunch on the regular!!!

19 kim November 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm

YES! Brunch!! Unlimited mimosas? Another chips + salsa lover! And I will never regret being a dachshund bbsitter! NOONE has dogs up here! It's so depressing!!

20 Dawn@LightenUp! November 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Congratttsssss! I know how much you love NYC. I have family there, maybe I'll come see you someday.
Incidentally? I feel the same way about….Florida. haha

21 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:12 am

Florida is great. Really. Tallahassee isn't quite as "Florida" as I'd like, but it's still pretty cool. And YES!!!! You need to make your way to NYC! My cousin can carpool with you from Columbus. 😉 Don't worry… I'll make her leave her kids at home.

22 MangoChutney November 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Congrats on the move! Get ready for ridiculous winters a feet of snow, cheers to the city that never sleeps;) you’ll be there for Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Years, you lucky duck;)

23 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:13 am

Thanks so much! I'm so excited, yet totally nervous about how in the world I'm going to adjust to the long, cold winter. 🙂 Eeeeeek!!!

24 @notwifezilla November 5, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Oh Jen! How exciting! The City is someplace I adore, and was one of those things we did miss on our "to do" list before everything else. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I didn't tell you I was jealous! __There is no place on earth quite like NYC. And as for Times Square on NYE, stay clear!

25 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:14 am

I hear you about Times Square! It's difficult for me to navigate on a random Tuesday in July! 🙂

Thanks so much for reading. I've got high hopes for the move. I've barely been able to sleep since finding out! 🙂

26 Martha Cole November 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Lynne, your Mother-in-law, suggested I read your blog, so here I am and I love it. What an excellent writer you are. I know quite a few of your Long Island relatives – Diane & Joseph, Robert & Regina, for many years now. Welcome to New York (when you get here) and good luck. You are far braver than I, to want to live in Manhattan. The place terrifies me in my old age. Only go in once in a while to see a Broadway Show. I can honestly say I haven't been on a Subway in well over 30 years. I shall follow your blog to hear how you make out and I do wish you all the luck in the world in your endeavors. Sincerely, Martha Cole __PS: George may or may not remember me. He would most likely have seen me in connection with his Grandmother, Terry.

27 Jen Has A Pen November 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Hi Martha! Nice to meet you! I'm glad Lynne turned you on to my blog! 🙂 George is actually staying with Joe and Diane for the next couple days. Then, he'll be driving back to Florida to finalize some things here. Do you live on Long Island?

28 Runnermom-jen November 6, 2011 at 9:18 am

Oh my goodness!!! That is AWESOME!!! I'm so glad you get to follow your dreams! Can't wait to hear the tales of your new adventures 🙂

29 Karen November 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

congrats!!!!!!!

30 Kir November 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am not sure I want to be JEALOUS because I love NYC so much or be happy that you'll be CLOSER to me now…Hmmmm.
Happy I guess, soooo happy for you!!!!