This Is Gross. I’m Prepared For Judgement.

by Jen on January 17, 2011

I love my dogs’ breath.  I do.  I am extremely aware that it closely resembles roadkill, but I love it.  I’ve never met a dog with “good” breath per se, but a dachshund???  They put a whole new spin on “dog breath”.  My first dachshund, Libby, would store food in her cheeks like a hamster, so I thought that was the culprit.  But now, Mona and Millie have similarly dee-scusting breath, and they don’t store anything for later.  Must be the breed.  It is awful no matter how often I brush their teeth.
One of my girlfriends always says the best smell on earth is the smell of her son’s stinky feet.  I can totally relate. There is something so comforting about the smell of your “kids”, whether they’ve got 2 or 4 legs.  When I hold my dogs, I inhale.  Deep.  Gross, huh?
Their slobbery toys, on the other hand, make me wanna ralph!  Once their slob co-mingles with the smell of the stuffed animal, something happens and it becomes poison to my nose.  They love to chase their babies, so I spend hours (mostly while I’m blogging) absently throwing their raggedy Eeyore across our living room.  I wash my hands like a fiend afterwards.  Strange.

1 Megan January 17, 2011 at 5:09 am

when i forget the chuck it at the dog park i have to throw the bears ball by hand…and he of course loves the nastiest most digusting ball there..and particularly likes to dunk it in the water bowl in between each throw..for extra juicyness…i still throw it though…because I love him..my husband on the other hand..turns into a little princess and refuses to touch even pick it up…and god forbid if rolls next to him when bear places it on the bench (he is trained to do that so i dont have to bend down..) men are babies.

2 Krista January 17, 2011 at 7:41 am

I can completely relate! I love the smell of my dog too! I love the smell of his breath and just him in general….sometimes when he is laying on his bed, I just put my nose on his fur and inhale! I know it's weird but I just adore the way he smells!

3 Joey @ Big Teeth and January 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Having a kid put my dog way down on the list. I can't tolerate having her in my face long enough to figure out what her breath is like. (The dog, not the kid!)

4 Emily January 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm

My dog has this habit of stepping in her own puddle after she has gone to the bathroom. My husband and I love the musty smell that her paws get after a while, and affectionately refer to them as her "pee-pee feet" I'm glad someone else loves the way their dog smells!

5 Lauren January 17, 2011 at 5:37 pm

My dog's paws smell like Fritos and that makes me so happy. I'd read somewhere that all dogs' feet smell like Fritos, so it was thoroughly exciting to me when we adopted her and discovered her little Frito-paws.Her breath, however, smells like rabbit poop because it is snowy outside and the rabbits are pooping on top of it and my little dog is eating it up.

6 Jennifer Bruno January 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this! I used to pretend it grossed me out when people were around – as to not appear disgusting. Now, I'm happy to have this cloak of dishonesty removed. 🙂

7 Lori January 19, 2011 at 8:28 am

Sometimes, when they do the "sheet licking" thing, I wonder if the sheet smell like their breath!! I'm too afraid to sniff. LOL

8 Krista January 19, 2011 at 8:33 am

You are so silly! Yes, smelling my dog DOES make me feel MUCH better! Every morning I have to get my "morning kiss" from that guy…starts the day off perfect!

9 Maranda January 21, 2011 at 5:09 am

Mmm, doggie breath! I got a dog – MY dog, not the kids dog, not a family dog – last summer and I love her stinky little dog kisses. Glad I'm not alone!

10 Lacey's Momma June 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This is hilarious…so glad to know I'm not alone. After all, I found this page by searching "Is it gross that I love the smell of my dogs feet?" LOL
It's like the smell of my baby, I also love the smell of her breath, other people say her breath stinks so I'm not sure what the deal is because I absolutely love it! I honestly think it's some sort of maternal thing, most people love the smell of their babies & my 85 lb Golden Retriever, Lacey IS my 6.5 yr old baby 🙂